“No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.”– Maimonides
In my endless journey to find good food that gives me energy and is easy to make I rarely come across something this tasty, wholesome and quick to prepare. These delectable crackers have only one major ingredient – seeds. Seeds have a myriad of health benefits and they are packed full of vitamins and minerals.
For these crackers you can use any seeds but it is important to include half a cup of either flax seeds or chia seeds (or a quarter cup of each) because these seeds have what is known as water soluble dietary fibre which means that they will break down and become the glue that holds the rest of the seeds together.
These crackers are great on their own as an energy packed snack or with a topping, savory or sweet, such as honey or avocado.
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 1/4 cup linseed/ flax seed
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- Heat oven to 170°C and line a oven tray with baking paper.
- Place all seeds, water and salt in a mixing bowl and mix to combine.
- Leave to sit for 15 to 20 minutes in order to let the chia and flax seeds soften and bind everything together.
- Tip seeds onto baking tray and spread as thinly as possible (1/2cm).
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes before removing and scoring the seeds into cracker shapes.
- Place back in oven and back for a further 20 to 30 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
- Allow to cool on a rack and then place in an airtight container.
With light and love, Jen